Wednesday, July 11, 2012

My Mornings with Scruffy

 "Start your mornings right!", as the saying goes.  Waking up early in the morning can be a dreadful process.  How many times do you hit the snooze button every time you hear your alarm clock goes off?  How many times do you tell yourself, "five more minutes," or simply go back to sleep?

Since we had Scruffy, my morning rituals changed dramatically.  No more hitting the snooze button or saying "five more minutes."  Scruffy does not allow me to do all those things anymore and became my alarm clock.  When I hear Scruffy's morning calls,  that means it is his potty time.  You cannot simply ignore him because it gets louder and longer, and the pitch of his voice gets higher.  It can give you the worse headache ever!
 
Typically, I teach Scruffy how to behave and a few tricks before giving his breakfast.  My boyfriend told me that the best time to teach a puppy is when the puppy needs something from you.  Since the puppy wants something, it will normally give you its full attention.  So far, it works!  Scruffy knows how to sit, lay down, high five, beg, and shake hands.  I still need to work with him more to learn the "stay" command.  He is a one sneaky pup! He will stay for a few seconds, and if you are not looking anymore, he will start following you around.

When he is eating, I prepare and have my breakfast too.  I liked it when we are eating at the same time.  At least, he does not beg for my food since he is busy eating his own food.  After having breakfast, I take him for at least thirty minutes to an hour walk around the neighborhood or at the park.  I started bringing him to walk when he was two months old.  He was shivering a lot and scared to go outside.  I thought he will not grow to like walking.  Boy!  I was wrong.  Now, after having breakfast, he will stand by the front door and look at you with his puppy dog eyes, begging you to walk him.   

Scruffy loves running around the baseball field.  He runs really fast, like a bullet train.  Probably because he is so small.  He likes digging the loose soil in the batter area of the field.  He also likes chewing the grass.  I guess eating grass will help with his digestion.  He also likes playing with dry leaves.  Now, he likes chasing flocks of crows.  These past few days, there were a lot of crows stopping by the field.  Scruffy just loves chasing them as they fly away.  It was really funny to see him run in confusion.  He does not know which crow to follow first.

After running around the field, we head home.  I wipe his paws with baby wipes and start cleaning the house.  Scruffy brings a lot of dirt, dry leaves, etc., from our morning walks, that I needed to vacuum the house everyday. 

So, that is how my usual mornings with Scruffy!  How does your morning go?  Please feel free to share you morning stories with me!








No comments:

Post a Comment